My Favorite Tips + Tricks for Curling Hair

By Ivy - 9/11/2016


Today I am teaming up with Babyliss and am talking about my tips for curling hair! I get a lot of questions about how I do my hair so I thought I would tell you some of my favorite tips!!

1. Find a good iron
I have tried SO many irons over the years. Cheap ones, expensive ones, thick ones, thin ones, clip-irons, wands, EVERYTHING. Just because it is expensive doesn't necessarily mean it is good, so make sure you shop around and read lots of reviews! If you have stubborn hair (like mine) I reccomend getting one that can reach high temperatures. For these wavy curls I am wearing in the photos, I used my Babyliss Pro Nano Titanium 1-1/4" Iron. It heats up fast and gets super hot so it works well on my straight hair. 


2. Use some product!
Never curl your naked hair. Add some product for heat protection and styling! Babyliss has a line of hair care products called One N' Only and I really love it. While my hair is still damp, I like to use my 2-in-1 Beauty Balm Styler. It reduces frizz and adds volume once it is dried. I also LOVE thie Aragan Oil and I use it on the ends of my hair to keep them from looking so fried.


3. Texturize your hair
I like to curl my hair when it hasn't been washed that day. Dirty hair really does curl better! Even if it isn't dirty, however, I like to spray dry shampoo in my hair once it is dry to texturize it more so it isn't so flat and slick. I have heard there are some great texturizing products and plan on trying those eventually, but hairspray and dry shampoo work well for me.

4. Decide what you want
Before you start curling, you should have an idea of what type of curl you want. Do you want them tight and ringlet-like? Do you want them big and wavy? The angles and ways you use your iron will determine what the finished product looks like. Although the Babyliss Pro iron has a clip, I didn't use the clip for these photos, but used the iron like a wand and wrapped my hair around it! That is one of the main reasons I like that iron - it is like a wand and iron all in one. I did all of the curls in the same direction (away from my head) and used thin pieces of hair. I also started right in the middle of my ear, so the top part of my head was straight. 

5. Let the curls sit for a while
I think curls look SO much better after they've been sitting for a while. So, I curl my hair a few hours before going wherever I am going. Sometimes I even do them before bed and sleep on them! That is honestly the best way to get those big, beachy waves for me!


Happy curling!!

xo

Here are some of my favorite hair products that I use all the time! 




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 sweet note{s}