Classic Apple Pie Recipe

By Ivy - 9/18/2016

This semester, school and work are crazy. I have no time during the week to cook or bake anything. Our dinners have been things like Mac N' Cheese and frozen pizzas (so healthy around here, I know). But on Sunday, everything slows down and I can bake. I like to try to make some kind of yummy treat every week. Someday I'll be done with school and will be able to bake more during the week, but for now Sunday is my day! 


Today I made my first apple pie of the season! If you know me, you know that I have a huge obsession for making pies-especially apple ones. I have been working on this recipe for SO long now and think I should share it. Last year this recipe won me 1st place in our ward pie contest so yeah....it's pretty dang good :) It is also super easy! I keep telling myself that someday I'll make my own crust from scratch, but the store bought ones are honestly so good and work just fine. 







Ingredients 

-2 deep dish frozen pie crusts (I use Pillsbury)
-2 tsp of Ground Cinnamon (plus a little more for sprinkling) 
-1/2 cup butter
-3 tablespoons flour
-1/2 cup white sugar
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-2 tablespoons water
-3 Granny Smith Apples
-1 gala apple

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Sprinkle a teeny bit of flour and a teeny bit of cinnamon on the bottom of the pie crust.

3. Peel (if you'd like) and slice all apples. In a bowl, mix the sliced apples and 1 tsp of cinnamon together. I like to leave on the apple peels but it is up to you if you want to peel them or not. 

4. Put apple/cinamon mix into the pie crust. Set aside. 

5. Melt butter in saucepan and then stir in flour to make a paste. Add in sugar, brown sugar, rest of cinnamon and water, constantly stirring. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and let simmer for 3 minutes, still constantly sirring. 

6. Pour half of the sugar mix over the apples

7. Using the other pie crust, create a lattice-work pie top

8. Pour remainder of sugar mix over the crust. Go slow so that it doesn't go over the edges. 

9. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes and then at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes. Let it sit for a few hours before serving as it will be super warm and runny!


Let me know if you try it and what you think.
Happy baking!!

xo

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 sweet note{s}