Bumpdate: 20 Weeks

By Ivy Van Dusen - 1/26/2017







Today we had our 20 week anatomy ultrasound appointment!!!! I was so excited and a little nervous but everything turned out great. We are SO in love with this little guy!! The ultrasound tech was super sweet and told us everything that was on the screen. Baby was face down for a while at first, so it was a little bit hard to make out exactly what we were seeing but we could see a perfect little spine as clear as day. Then we got to see his brain, his heart, his stomach and all of his other organs working perfectly! The tech said there was a little bit of fluid in his kidney but it is a super common thing and will most likely correct itself eventually. My favorite part was just watching him move around in there. His movements are already so baby-like! He would rub his face with his hands and he liked being all curled up. We were able to see all his leg and arm bones as they moved around and it was just the sweetest thing. He is already such a cutie!!! I am so excited. Everywhere I go, I just want to tell everyone about him and show them pictures and stuff, haha. Anyways, here is another bumpdate!!

How Far Along: 20 weeks (halfway!)

Baby is the size of: banana (11 inches and 15 oz. to be exact)

Total weight gain: about 18lbs...ehhhh :/

Symptoms: ITCHINESS!!! My skin everywhere, especially on my tummy, is super dry and itchy. Doc says it is because of all the water the baby is needing from me, and because of all the stretching my skin is doing so it makes sense. I drink so much water and never seem to have enough!

I am also still pretty tired. I need 8-9 hours of sleep every night to feel functional the next day. 

Cravings: Ice cream, acai bowls, smoothies, popsicles, strawberries, blueberries, basically anything cold and sweet :) Also sausage McMuffins, avacado-toast, Annie's Mac N' Cheese, frozen soft-pretzles, spaghetti and everything else. Food is so GOOD these days!! I enjoy it so much! I have to remind myself to eat in moderation because I want to keep baby healthy, but man. My relationship with food is so much better than it was a few weeks ago!

Struggles: I have always been a worrier, but I have become even worse these last few weeks. Whenever I don't feel little dude move for a few hours, I start to freak out. My mind always goes to the worst possible scenario and I start to get so worried!! I look online way too much (Kody gets mad when I do) and I read about all of the things that could go wrong during pregnancy. It has been really getting to me and I have been trying hard to not let it. I want to focus on the positives and let myself be happy and excited. 

But I have also realized that I am never, EVER going to stop "worrying" about this little guy. When I am 30 weeks along I will still be afraid of falling, him not kicking, etc. When he is born I think I will have a hard time leaving him alone to sleep. When he goes to kindergarten I will worry. When he learns to drive, I will worry. When he goes on a mission I will worry. When he is a full-grown man on his own I will worry! He is always going to have a huge chunk of my heart and I will always be concerned about his well-being. I am starting to learn that that is just part of motherhood, though. I am beginning to realize a little bit of how my parents felt when they let me play at friends houses, go on dates with guys and when, exhausted, they stayed up past midnight waiting for me to come home. Parents love their children so much and I don't think it's the kind of love or concern that changes over time. The words from one of my favorite books as a child have never felt more true; "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be."

Exercising: Yoga has continued to be so good for my mind and my body! Although, I think I need to find a prenatal class sometime because some of the poses have become impossible with my belly! It seriously feels like I am hitting some kind of little wall when I try to bend down to touch my toes! On days where I don't do yoga, I try to do some cardio (walking, jogging or elliptical). 

Discoveries: In the past week or so, I have felt baby moving around SO MUCH!! It is the craziest feeling! He moves a lot during the middle of the night, when I eat and when I am sitting in class/at work (so basically all the time). It started out feeling like little muscle twitches and has turned into more of a quick, little, rolling-feeling. Hard to describe but so cool! I love it so much!!! :)

Looking Forward To: Seeing my sweetheart become a dad!! Kody is going to be the SWEETEST dad. Every night while we are lying in bed, he gets close to my tummy and says, "Hi baby, daddy loves you!" and all kinds of other sweet stuff. I don't know if my heart can take it!! <3 

xo

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 sweet note{s}