Miles’ Birth Story

By Ivy Van Dusen - 3/12/2021


Our second little boy, Miles, was born about two weeks ago on Feb 23rd, 2021 and it was one of the most magical, very best days of my entire life! I wish I could re-live it over and over again and I wanted to write down as much of that day as possible! 


With Jack I waited until my body went into labor at 41 weeks, was in labor for about 15 hours and then had an emergency c-section. With Miles I had a planned c-section at 39 weeks this time and the whole thing was completely different! So much more calm and relaxed.


That morning I woke up around 5, drank a pre-surgery drink the hospital told me to have, and Kody and I hopped in the car and drove to the hospital! On the way there Miles was moving around and kicking me like crazy and it was so weird to think that in just a couple of hours he’d be out and in the world!


We got to the hospital, they took our temps and then let us into the labor and delivery area. I was put in a pre-op room where they had me put on a hospital gown, checked on baby, gave me an IV + fluids, drew blood, had us sign some stuff etc. We were in there for 2 hours getting ready and Kody was making all kinds of jokes to help pass the time and keep me calm. I am so, so grateful I had him by my side! He is my rock and always knows how to help me feel calm & happy and I just love that man so much.


On our way out the door to the hospital!

Hanging out in pre-op & my last bump pic! I told Kody I look like a sausage in this pic haha!

Eventually my dr came in to say hi and walked me through what was going to happen. I was so nervous! With Jack I had no idea I was going to have a c-section until about 3 minutes before they cut me open so I didn’t really have a chance to worry much about what they were going to do but this time I had like 9 months to think about it and it was finally time to actually do it! But I was also very calm and said a little prayer asking for the nurses and doctors to do a good job, for Heavenly Father to be in the operating room with us and above all for my baby to get out healthy and safe. 


They gave Kody some surgical clothes to wear and then we walked to the section of the hospital with different operating rooms. They told Kody to sit outside and then have me a mask and a hair cover and I went in with the nurse.


Walking into an OR, seeing 10+ people walking around laying out different tools and things and knowing you are the one they are going to be operating on is an interesting experience for sure! When I first walked in it made me nervous because it was definitely not a warm, welcoming room- it honestly looked like something from some kind of horror movie lol. But the nurses and doctors were all so nice and calming that it quickly became a nice place :)


They had me sit up on the table and the anesthesiologist told me to bend forward while he did the spinal tap. My OB was awesome and rubbed my shoulders & let me literally lean on him while it was being put in. Definitely didn’t feel pleasant at first! Just like you’d imagine a sharp needle in your spine would feel. Then it started feeling super weird...almost like something was being drilled into my back? I don’t know but quickly I started losing all feeling in my legs and lower half. They laid me on the table and brought over some super warm blankets to lay on my arms and it felt so nice. Then they let Kody in the room and he came and sat in a chair right by my head and I was so happy to see him! 


I wanted to make sure I wouldn’t feel anything when they cut me open (like last time) but the nurse assured me they’d test it and make sure I was numb before actually going in. They told me they were going to scrub my tummy area and get me all ready and I just laid there and talked with Kody and some of the nurses for a little bit. A few moments later the nurse told me that they were starting the surgery and they had already poked me with something “super sharp” and that that proved I was totally numb. That made me feel better and I was so excited to meet my baby!!


For about 10 or 20 minutes or so they worked on cutting me open and I could feel things and knew they were cutting me open but I couldn’t feel any pain if that makes sense. It was the craziest sensation! At one point they were talking about how they were cutting through my abs and it was taking awhile and complimented me by saying I had “abs of steel” haha, I don’t know if that’s true but I’ll take it! Eventually I started feeling a bunch of pressure on my chest and they told me that meant that baby was almost out! He was stuck a little bit under my right rib but eventually I heard them all start “aww”-ing and talking about baby’s chunky cheeks and before I knew it, at 8:54am Miles was officially out! They let me have the option of choosing a clear drape so that my doctor was able to pull him out and show him to me right away! He was reaching towards me right away and It was the COOLEST thing and I couldn’t stop the tears from coming. My sweet little baby was here and I was so happy!




About a year ago I got pregnant and ended up miscarrying, then I got pregnant with Miles right away after that and honestly this whole past year has just felt like such a long, hard journey. I was so happy to be done being pregnant and to finally have my sweet, perfect rainbow baby boy right in front of me!


They cleaned him up and I watched while Kody walked over to the scale with the nurses and was able to cut the umbilical cord. 8lbs 14oz and 21 3/4in. long. I was just so happy to watch it all! Then they brought him over and put him right by my face and let me kiss his little head. He was crying and was just perfect, perfect, perfect. 





They started to stitch me up and let Kody take Miles to the recovery room to wait for me. My doctor asked me questions about how Kody and I met, college, how I hate the cold, etc. just to keep my mind relaxed while they cleaned out my uterus and stapled, stitched and glued me back together. 

Miles & Daddy waiting in the recovery area

The whole c-section was honestly such a wonderful, smooth experience. My doctor was seriously amazing and even though I’m only 2 weeks postpartum, my scar is barely there and I feel like it’s healed up so much better than it did with Jack. And I thought his was pretty smooth too to be honest so that’s saying a lot! 




They took their time putting me back together, which I appreciated, and then they brought me over to the recovery area. I was able to hold Miles for the first time and I just snuggled him so tight and cried and nursed a bit and it was one of the sweetest, happiest times of my whole life. I love this little boy so, so much.


That day I felt fine like 95% of the time but every now and then out of nowhere a huge wave of nausea would come bc of the anesthesia and I would throw up. That was no fun because 1) it would always happen whenever anyone came into the room and was embarrassing and 2) I was so hungry/thirsty but couldn't keep a single thing down. Kody was always by my side that day and took care of Miles too. I've said it many times and I'll say it again- one of the best parts about being a parent is getting to do so with him. Truly my best friend and the love of my life.

I was able to shower the next morning and I forced myself to walk around the halls a lot bc I know how important that is for healing. Miles looked great and my incision also did so they let us leave earlier than normal and we only ended up staying in the hospital for about 48 hrs! I loved being there- the nurses were so kind and everything was great but I also wanted to get home to Jack and start our lives as a fam of 4!




On thursday we headed home and my mom brought Jack and met us there. He was so excited to finally meet his little brother and I can't even describe how sweet that was to see! My mommy heart was absolutely melted.

I love my sons so much and honestly feel like the happiest, luckiest mama in the entire world.






xo

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 sweet note{s}